Muhammed Ali, Lionel Messi, Tom Brady, Serena Williams
All were great in their fields and also remained at the top long after their initial success.
What do they all have in common that enabled them to achieve and sustain such remarkable performances?
1 They have a passion and intrinsic motivation for their sport
- This gives them the desire to train and play with the same initial intensity long after their initial success
2 They avoid automaticity in their training
- Their training is never repetitive and mindless; its always done with intensity and with the intention of improving specific aspects
3 They strive for continuous improvement
- They never allow themselves to plateau; they perpetually strive to get better
4 They adopt a focused and deliberate approach to practice
- It's demanding and intense, physically AND mentally
- It focuses on targetted aspects of performance which need improvement
5 Coaches and trainers are fundamental to their success
- Unique insights about them and their performance
- Identify and specify tailored training programmes to ensure improvement
- Give independent feedback and perspective
6 They have developed a high sense of self-assessment and self-reflection
- Set goals which focus on processes rather than outcomes. This ensures failures do not affect their self-belief.
- Adopt a mindful approach to themselves; always seeking perspective
- Use extremely specific metrics when assessing their performance
7 They have a heightened sense of acuity
- Extremely knowledgeable about the intricacies and nuances of their sport, enabling them to react quicker, make better judgments, provide a vision
- Hyperaware of how small changes can impact performance that average performers will not notice
8 Are extremely resilient
- They have all suffered failure and disappointments during their career but have all used those incidences to grow and improve
- They have developed an unbreakable self-belief from their resiliency
We can use insights from these great people to improve & achieve success in our own careers. But we need to ensure we are motivated, have self-belief and are willing to use the advice of others to improve.
I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic so please email me at info@XtraClarity.com